A proper noun is the word used for a particular person, place, or thing.
- Ahmad, Bilal, Ayesha, John, Merry (people)
- Quaid-e-Azam, President Bush, King George, Queen Elizabeth, Judge Judy (titles)
- Google, Pepsi, Samsung, Nike, McDonald's (Brands)
- Lahore, Pakistan, London, Hagia Sophia, Taj Mahal (places)
- The Holy Quran, The Bible, The Ferrari, The Rolls-Royce, The Parker Pen (things)
- English, Urdu, French, Italian, German (languages)
- Eid-ul-Fitr, Christmas, New Year's Day, Hanukkah, Thanksgiving (holidays)
Use capital letters for proper nouns in the following sentences.
(i) paris is the capital of france.
(ii) william shakespeare is a famous english author.
(iii) 'war and peace' by written by leo tolstoy.
(iv) The universities of oxford and cambridge offer degree courses at the highest level.
(v) john's two dogs are named rover and boxer.
(vi) david will travel to france to do a degree course on the french revolution.
(vii) suez canal joins the red sea and the mediterranean sea.
(viii) republic of liberia is on the west coast of africa.
(ix) mick jagger is the lead singer of rolling stones.
(x) mount kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in africa.
Answers: (i) Paris, France (ii) Shakespeare, English (iii) War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy (iv) Oxford, Cambridge (v) John, Rover, Boxer (vi) David, France, French Revolution (vii) Suez Canal, the Red Sea, the Mediterranean Sea (viii) Republic of Liberia, Africa (ix) Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones (x) Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa